Last updated 12 March 2017
| 2016 |
- 12 Mar 17 | ICCF CCM Norm for Bennett
- Peter Bennett of Edinburgh has emulated David Cumming by obtaining his first ICCF Correspondence Chess Master (CCM) norm. He reached the qualifying
standard of 6½ points while playing in the Veterans' World Cup Semi-Final 02. Peter currently stands on 6½/13 with one game still to finish.
Congratulations to Peter on yet more VWC success!
- 09 Mar 17 | ICCF CCM Norm for Cumming
- David Cumming of Inverness has continued his rich vein of form by obtaining his first ICCF Correspondence Chess Master (CCM) norm. The CCM title ranks after the GM, SIM
and IM awards and only 24 players hold the title at present, including two each from England and Wales. David reached the qualifying
standard of 5 points while playing in the North Sea Team Tournament 3 on board 2. He currently stands on 5/8 with two games still to finish.
Congratulations to David on his further success!
- 02 Mar 17 | ICCF 11th European Team Championship Semi-Finals Announced
- Marco Caressa, ICCF Zonal Director for Europe, writes to announce the semi-final stage of the 11th European Team Championship. Each participating country fields
an 8-person team, and 13 teams will contest the final (the size of semi-final sections will depend on numbers entering). Games are played by webserver and there are no entry fees.
Registration closes on 30th April and play starts on 1st June. If you are interested in representing Scotland, then please email
George Pyrich before Friday, April 14th.
- 24 Feb 17 | ICCF CCE Norm for Anderson
- Gordon Anderson of Nottingham joins the growing number of SCCA members to pick up a norm for the recently introduced ICCF Correspondence Chess Expert (CCE)
title. Gordon reached the 3½ qualifying mark playing Board 6 in the ICCF Olympiad 21 Preliminaries, and still has three unfinished games. Well done Gordon!
- 20 Feb 17 | ICCF Champions League 7 Announced
- Russell Sherwood, ICCF Non-Title Tournaments Commissioner, writes to announce Champions League 7 which reverts to the format used by Champions League 5.
This competition is for teams of four players, organised into several divisions, most of which comprise 13 teams. Entries will be accepted until 16th April
2017; the start date is 15th May 2017; the end date is fixed as 14th May 2019. Time control is 10 moves in 40 days and 30 days leave/year is available to each player.
We have fielded two teams in recent seasons: The Lewis Chessmen and Scottish Claymores.
Please email George Pyrich for further details
and to register your interest. Entry fee via SCCA will be £7.
- 02 Feb 17 | ICCF CCE Norm for Lloyd
- Geoff Lloyd of Prestatyn is the latest SCCA member to pick up a norm for the recently introduced ICCF Correspondence Chess Expert (CCE)
title. Geoff reached the 4½ qualifying mark in the 1st Welsh Correspondence Chess Invitational event (held to celebrate the ICCF Congress held in
Cardiff during 2015), and still has one unfinished game. Well done Geoff!
- 12 Jan 17 | ICCF CCE Title for Cumming
- David Cumming of Inverness has become the first Scottish player to qualify for the recently introduced ICCF Correspondence Chess Expert (CCE)
title. As reported in Magazine 136, he has already picked up two CCE norms in WS/MN/138 and the 2nd Interzonal Individual Tournament Prelim A, but
he was still short of the requisite 24 games in these events. Happily, he's now chalked up a further 10 games in the British Championship 2016-8,
and netted a further CCE norm with 5 points to date. So, he's over the finish line and fully deserves our congratulations for his impressively quick
- 09 Jan 17 | ICCF Grading List 2017/1 Published
- The first quarterly list of 2017 is published on the website today. Look under publications/grading list
to see the web page, or go to members/downloads for the pdf version. For further information, please contact
- 09 Jan 17 | Magazine 136 Published
- The fourth e-mag of the 2016 set is being distributed by email today. Printed copies are in the post tonight. As usual, members will be
asked to download their e-mags from the secure Members' page on the website, while complimentary e-mags will be attached to the email.
Download times will be slightly longer than last quarter. If you have any problems with this edition, please drop me an email at:
and I'll do what I can to help. Enjoy the read!
- 07 Jan 17 | ICCF European Championship Candidates 2017
- Marco Caressa, ICCF-Europa Zonal Director, writes to announce the Candidates stage of the 2017 Championship. This is a webserver event and
registration is open from now until 20th February. Play is scheduled to start on 15th March and sections are expected to have 13 players. The
following players are eligible:
- a player rated 2500 or over at the time of entry.
- the holders of the Grandmaster Title.
- the holders of the Senior International Master Title with a rating over 2400 at the time of entry.
- the holders of the International Master Title with a rating over 2450 at the time of entry.
- those participants of EU/SF 68 and 69 who achieved at least 55% scores (unless they already hold qualification under any of 1 to 4 above
and have not already used this qualification right).
- those players who finished 1st or 2nd in a European Championship Semi-Final started after 01/01/2014.
- the participants of previous or running Finals who have scored at least 45% of the possible points, if they have not earned a higher qualification
and have not already used this qualification right.
- participants of previous or running Candidates who have scored at least 55% of the possible points, if they have not earned a higher qualification
and have not already used this qualification right.
- Please email George Pyrich for further details
and to register your interest. Entry fee via SCCA will be £12.
- 04 Jan 17 | SCCA 2016 Domestic Events Round-Up
- Many congratulations to the following domestic event winners from 2016:
- Championship 2016-17: David Cumming
- Championship 2015-16: Iain Mackintosh
- Premier 2016: Michael Blake (including a 100% score)
- Open 2016: Andrew Macmillen
- Challengers 2016: Michael Blake and Robert Gilbert tied with 7½
- Webserver League 2016 Div 1: Hounds of the Scheming Mind B
- Webserver League 2016 Div 2: Social A
- Webserver League 2016 Div 3: White Rose B
- 02 Jan 17 | SCCA 2017 Domestic Events Started
- Many thanks to Kevin Paine who has initiated all our major domestic events on January 1st this year! You can access the x-table links via the following pages:
championship; premier; open; and leagues. The challengers
fixtures will follow shortly.
- 02 Jan 17 | ICCF President's New Year Message
- To all Correspondence Chess Friends,
- As 2016 ends, I would like to extend my warmest wishes to you and all those dear to you for a very healthy, happy, and successful New Year. I also want to extend
my sincere thanks to all officials and delegates for their devoted work on behalf of ICCF during the last year.
- The 2016 ICCF Congress in Bremen has approved some important decisions. Some of these decisions have already been included in the end of December 2016 major release
of the server for example the new Tournament Office manual. Others will be released during the 2017 year such as the new time control system (the so-called Triple Block system),
the revised norm calculation, and the revised rating rules.
- It is too early to present the complete figures, but it is likely that 2016 will be another record year for ICCF tournament entries and I thank all volunteers who are giving
their time for the benefit of the development of correspondence chess and of course the players who are enjoying playing in ICCF tournaments.
- I look forward to meeting you in Bulgaria in September for the 2017 ICCF Congress.
- In closing, let me once again extend to you my best wishes for the New Year. I hope that 2016 will bring satisfaction in all your endeavours, personal,
professional, and chess!
- Amici Sumus,
- Eric Ruch
- ICCF President